Thursday, January 12, 2012

Sony Has to Pay Up for a Racist Natural Hair Song


Brazilian singer,actor, and comedian  Tiririca released a song entitled Veja Cabelos Deja ("Look at Her Hair"), and now Sony has to pay the price which totals to a whopping 1.2 million dollars.Usually when I hear things called racist in America, I feel that people are being highly oversensitive. However, this is the one occasion when there is no hinting around at the racism and nothing about the issue is funny.

The song out rightly demeans black women:

"Veja veja veja veja veja os cabelos dela (4x)
(Look look look look look at her hair (4x)
Parece bom-bril*, de ariá panela
(It looks like a scouring pad for pots and pans)
Parece bom-bril, de ariá panela
(It looks like a scouring pad for pots and pans)
Quando ela passa, me chama atenção
(When she goes by, she catches my attention)
Mas os seus cabelos, não tem jeito não
(But her hair just isn't right)
A sua catinga quase me desmaiou
(Her stench almost made me faint)
Olha eu não aguento, é grande o seu fedor
(Look, I can't take it, her smell is so bad)
Veja veja veja veja veja os cabelos dela
(Look look look look look at her hair)
Parece bom-bril, de ariá panela (2x)
(It looks like a scouring pad for pots and pans) (2x)
Eu já mandei, ela se lavar
(I told her to take a bath)
Mas ela teimo, e não quis me escutar
(But she's stubborn and doesn't listen to me)
Essa nega fede, fede de lascar
(This black woman stinks, she stinks horribly)
Bicha fedorenta, fede mais que gambá
(Stinking beast, smells worse than a skunk)"

This song is one of hate and its lyrics certainly don't beat around the bush with this. To hate a group so much that you have to make song about your prejudice means that group has some sort of significance or power over your life.  Hate takes energy out of you, so for someone to go that hard something is behind it, perhaps jealously.

Image of Brazilian Woman
Brazilian Woman

What I can't wrap my fingers around is how many of the Brazilian people look black themselves, yet some are so full of hate toward black people. Oh, and if you ever dare call them black they throw hissy fits, this especially frustrates me when it is clear they have some sort of African ancestry going on. When I hear ignorance such as this, it automatically makes me think they are just haters because their hair can't do all the cool tricks my can.

It can appear short and coily when I want it to
Braided and glorious
Curly shiny ringlets
Fluffy, big, and bold
and if I so desire
it can be worn pressed,
straightened, and silky

Anyone ignorant enough to make a song about another peoples hair is nothing short of a hater, they are probably mad because they feel their own style is limited.

Image of Tiririca, Author of Racist Song
The man behind the racism, Tiririca
Tiririca, your lyrics are garbage, you are garbage, you fail.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing that people can produce lyrics like this and have a career...let me guess, it had a good beat? lol

As far as the blackness issue, one thing I have realized is that "black" as a category is more of an American concept. Some 'black' people from other nations outside of America associate 'black' with being a black person from America or something that is intended to be a negative term. So, it makes sense that they're not so easily accepting of the term. I suppose it's semantics, but I just hope those same people are not saying they are not of African ancestry, because then that's just ridiculous. lol

SaySay208 said...

Wow what a racist,hateful, degrading song. The funny thing Brasil is the number one country in the western hemisphere to have the highest African Diaspora. America's next then Colombia.

Connect

Ari on Instagram

Followers

Black Naps 2011 © All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.