Wednesday, January 11, 2012

4B Kinky Hair Do's and Don'ts

Cornrow Hairstyle with Curls

Over the course of my natural hair journey I have learned what works for my 4b kinky hair type and what doesn't. Although, many women have a mixture of textures in their hair, for me the typing system simply signifies that different hair types require different techniques of dealing with hair.For example, I know certain techniques someone with 4a hair uses would not cut it for me, like spraying my hair with water. If I did that on a regular basis my hair would look like a dried out matted pancake. With that being said here are my list of do's and don'ts.

Don't

Ever, ever go to bed without some sort of protective style like braids or twists. Don't do this and suffer from matted hair and the worse case scenario breakage.

Go too long without clipping your ends. Just because your natural does not mean you shouldn't keep a regular schedule of trims, skip it and you are left with limp, thinned out hair, styling becomes a little harder from the tangles as well.

Comb your hair when it is bone dry, have some sort of slip going on. 

In your hair's natural state, do not comb your hair from the root on down, instead comb it from the ends and work your way on up. 

Wear rubberbands too frequently, they break your hair off  like crazy. If you do decide to wear them, try cutting them off instead of pulling them off. 


Do's

Add moisture to your hair when needed (for me this is usually once a day, but for you it may vary) with a water based product, creme, and seal with an oil.

Cleanse your hair once a week or every two weeks, get rid of the product buildup.  

Deep condition often

Take the time to properly detangle your hair

Minimize your usage of heat 



0 comments:

Connect

Ari on Instagram

Followers

Black Naps 2011 © All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.